LearnBoost welcomes Anderson Middle
The Anderson School PS 334
Founded September 1987
The Anderson School PS 334 is a K–8 New York City public school that uses traditional gifted pedagogy to teach students from the City’s five boroughs who meet specific criteria for being intellectually gifted.
Founded in September 1987 as The Anderson Program under the stewardship of PS 9, the New York City Department of Education (DOE) relaunched it in July 2005 as a stand-alone school — PS 334. Anderson's enrollment has been filled to capacity since inception, which for K through 8 (as of Feb. 10, 2010), was 559 students.
Since inception, Anderson has had two sections (classrooms) per grade. For the 2009-10 school year, the DOE admitted three sections for kindergarten and opened an additional section for 1st grade. But, to accommodate a new District elementary school launching in the 2010-11 school year (PS 452), the DOE will return to admitting two sections per grade beginning that year. For the 2010-11 school year, the building will house:
The BSRA is weighted 25% and the OLSAT is weighted 75% towards a composite score.
Admission criteria and open seats
Grades 4 through 7
David Lawrence Vigliarolo Bauer is among the notable Anderson K-5 alumni. While a senior at Hunter College High School, Intel Corporation awarded him a $100,000 scholarship as first-place winner of the 2005 Intel Science Talent Search (Intel STS), America's oldest and most prestigious high school science competition. Upon completing K-5 at Anderson in 1998, Bauer matriculated to the Delta Honors Program at MS 54, Booker T. Washington Middle School. Bauer is also an alumnus of Hollingworth Preschool at Teachers College, Columbia University. November 2008, as a Truman Scholar senior in chemistry at Macaulay Honors College, The City College of New York, Bauer was named a 2009 Rhodes Scholar.
The pedagogical objectives for Speyer were a culmination of research from a groundbreaking "Special Opportunity Class" for gifted students that opened in the early 1920s at PS 165. Expanding on the work of Lulu May Stedman (1876–1960) and other pioneers in gifted education, Dr. Hollingworth spearheaded the project at PS 165, which yielded over 40 papers and a textbook. Before PS 165, the BOE had introduced gifted classes at PS 15 and PS 64. However, these were small-scale and had scant documentation.
The Speyer project yielded valuable data. In its first year, Professor Hollingworth reported that, because bright children progress quickly, they need only a half day to master a full day's work. And, unless their courses were revised at an early age, they would learn to be masterful time-wasters. Professor Hollingworth posited that students who progress quickly on the wrong channel can be caustic.
Her untimely death, November 27, 1939, ended the Speyer project — Speyer eventually closed its doors January 31, 1941. But, to commemorate the legacy to Professor Hollingworth, the Board of Ed. launched classes for bright students in twelve public schools.
Beginning fall 2003, HCES discontinued pre-K. Until then, nearly half of the forty-eight kindergartners admitted to its kindergarten were matriculating from its pre-K, which made admissions seem impossible. For decades before Anderson, HCES had been turning away kindergarten applicants who met criteria as intellectually gifted. In the mid 80s, HCES used a computer random selection system for admitting students meeting its criteria, which frustrated parents all the more.
The resolution passed. Ms. Bernadette O'Brien, then Principal of PS 9, welcomed The Anderson Program into her school. At the time, PS 9 had only 197 students. The building, though structurally sound, was poorly maintained and underfurnished. There was no playground equipment — only a yard.
Anderson began with two kindergartens and two 1st grades in September 1987, comprising eighty students. The founding teachers were Ms. Alicia Ruddy (kindergarten), Ms. Gail Goldweber (kindergarten), Mr. Robert (Bob) Moy (1st grade), and Ms. Beatrice (Bea) Asnes (1st grade). Mr. Moy, a decorated educator, is still at Anderson. As the inaugural classes advanced, adding two classes per year, Anderson grew into a full K-5 Program by fall 1991.
Sometime around 1989, Ms. Natale chaired a committee to (i) secure a Program Director and (ii) persuade the District to fund a Program evaluation. Then District 3 Community Superintendent Anton J. Klein (1929- ) approved the evaluation and, together, with the committee selected Lisa Wright, Ed.D., of Teachers College, Columbia University, to perform the evaluation. Dr. Wright delivered a comprehensive and seminal report that served as an operational and educational framework going forward. In that report, she recommended, among other things, that (i) Anderson appoint a Program Coordinator, which Supt. Klein approved and (ii) Anderson establish a Parent Advisory Board (PAB), which the Anderson community enacted.
Under sponsorship of the Friends of Anderson, the prime independent parent support group for two decades (until the Summer of 2009), Parents Advisory Board chairs, teachers, and administrators have attended annual national gifted education conferences. They have participated in workshops — learning and sharing to help others. During the 1992-03 year, the National Association for Gifted Children recognized The Anderson Program as a national model for parent-initiated gifted programs.
The Middle School "feel" extends to 5th grade. That is, fifth graders have departmentalized classes (they switch classes each period); and, like the middle schoolers, they have lockers. Grades 6 through 8 occupy the basement floor.
The DOE promoted Anderson's Program Coordinator, Rachel Schnur, EdD, to Anderson's first Principal Interim Acting, then to full Principal. She served in those two capacities for the inaugural year. As its own school, Anderson formed a New York State mandated School Leadership Team (SLT). Because of some redundancies between the Parent Advisory and SLT, and at the suggestion of Dr. Schnur, the PTA provisionally suspended the Parent Advisory Board in the spring of 2006. In the summer of 2006, Dr. Schnur resigned for personal reasons.
In the Summer of 2006, the DOE appointed Brian Culot as Principal Interim Acting, promoting him to full Principal in April 2007. Mr. Culot inherited an administration that includes Aimee Terosky, EdD, Assistant Principal.
During the 2007-08 year, The Anderson School celebrated its Vicennial.
Principals when Anderson was part of PS 9
Principals beginning when Anderson became its own school – PS 334
Gifted Coordinators (directors) during Anderson's era as a program (under PS 9)
Anderson's Current Assistant Principal
Past chairs, Anderson Program subcommittee of the PS 9 PTA
PS 334 Parents Association presidents
The Anderson School (PS 334) inherited its name from its former foster parent school, the Sarah Anderson School, a K-5 neighborhood catchment school that offers two programs: Renaissance and Gifted and Talented. Until PS 334 moved to 100 West 77th Street in July 2009, both schools shared a building at 100 West 84th Street. Sarah Anderson (b. 7-31-1922 Birmingham, AL - d. 2-2-1981 Griffin, GA) was a beloved school paraprofessional. The school community successfully petitioned the Board of Education to rename PS 9 in her honor. It became official during a her memorial dedication in May 1981. Never married, she was the mother of three: Clarence "Pete" Anderson (1938 and living in East New York, Brooklyn), Ronald ("Ronnie") Dean Anderson (b. 1939 Griffin GA – 2001 Griffin), and Thomas Anderson. Sarah Anderson is buried at Mount Pleasant Baptist Church Cemetery, Griffin, GA. Her nickname, for those close to her, was "Peggy." Her daughter-in-law (Clarence's wife), Earnestine Anderson, also worked with Sarah as a paraprofessional at PS 9. Earnestine resides in Griffin.
In 1993, under Principal Joan Gutkin, PhD (1936–1997), PS 9 (then the host school for The Anderson Program) received magnet school funding for music and art and henceforth adopted the name, "Renaissance School of Music and Art." Upon the departure of Dr. Gutkin, and with the ebb and flow of funding for the arts, PS 9 uses both names, interchangeably.
The Anderson School PS 334
City and State Resources
Regional Education Advocacy