LearnBoost welcomes George Washington Preparatory High
George Washington Preparatory High School is a secondary school in the Westmont section of unincorporated Los Angeles County, California, United States that is part of the Los Angeles Unified School District.
It was founded in 1926. The school has a Los Angeles address but is not located in the city limits of Los Angeles.
The mascot is the General, an obvious reference to the school's namesake George Washington. The school colors are red and blue.
It was the location for a 1986 TV movie entitled Hard Lessons depicting Denzel Washington as the new principal set ridding the school of gang violence, and drugs and restoring educational values to the school.
The current principal is Dr. Athaur R. Ullah. Two famous former principals are Dr. George McKenna, whom Denzel Washington portrayed in the movie Hard Lessons; and LAUSD Board Member Marguerite LaMotte.
Washington Prep opened in 1927 .
On September 19, 2008, a 12-year old girl and an 18-year old man received gunshot wounds at the campus. Two other individuals may have been shot.
As of the school year 2008-09, there were a total of 2,440 students attending the high school.
- Joseph Le Conte Middle
- Rosewood Avenue Elementary
- 4th Street Primary Center
- Abraham Lincoln Senior High
- Academia Avance Charter
- Academia Semillas Del Pueblo
- Accelerated Elementary Charter
- Aggeler Community Day
- Alain Leroy Locke Senior High
- Albert Einstein Continuation
- Albion Street Elementary
- Aldama Elementary
- Alexander Fleming Middle
- Alexander Hamilton Senior High
- Alexandria Avenue Elementary
- Alfred Bernhard Nobel Middle
- Allesandro Elementary
- Alphonso B. Perez Special Education Center
- Alta Loma Elementary
- Amanecer Primary Center
- Amelia Earhart Continuation
- Amestoy Elementary
- Anatola Avenue Elementary