LearnBoost welcomes Glendale Senior High
The first classes were held at the Glendale Hotel. The first principal was Mr. Llewellyn Evans and the school consisted of 2 teachers and 29 students. The next year, a new school building was built at the corner of what is today Brand Boulevard and Broadway Avenue.
Mr. George Moyse was appointed Principal and continued in his role for 35 years until 1937. The school continued to grow rapidly as the years progressed and the school moved several times, first in 1907 to Harvard Street and then later in 1914 to Maryland Street.
Again, the school continued to grow, as enrollment reached 800 in 1920 and 1,050 in 1921. It was decided then to move the Grade 10, 11, and 12 Classes to a new campus at the corner of present-day Broadway Avenue and Verdugo Road (Grade 9 students remained at the Maryland Street campus, and were later integrated into area Middle Schools). The school has remained in this location (1440 East Broadway, at the southeast corner of Verdugo) since 1924. 
The school suffered extensive damage during spring break on March 22, 1964, when a student who was concerned about his grades set fire to the room in which he thought the grade information was stored. The fire quickly spread throughout the administration building and to adjacent buildings on the campus. The decision was made to reconstruct the campus, leaving the swimming pool, baseball field, tennis courts and football stadium as the only remnants of the old campus.
In the early 1990's, the decision was made by the School Board to reintegrate ninth graders into the Glendale Unified School District high schools. As a result, the 'J' building was constructed in 1994-1995, opening in September 1995.
In 1966, Captain Max Schumacher, an aerial traffic reporter for local radio station KMPC, landed his helicopter on the football field during a school assembly and spoke about traffic safety. He was later killed in a helicopter crash with a police helicopter near Dodger Stadium.
In 2001, Glendale High School celebrated its centennial, by this point, the student population was 3,500 and there were over 100 teachers.
In 2001, the Glendale High School Visual and Performing Arts Programme (VAPA) was awarded the BRAVO Award for excellence in arts education by the Los Angeles County Music Centre. In 2003, the Programme won another award, the Creative Ticket National School of Distinction Award from the Kennedy Centre in Washington, D.C.. Glendale High School was the only Public High School to be awarded this honor.
On July 1, 2005, Ms. Katherine Fundukian replaced Mr. LeRoy Sherman and Mrs. Lou Stewart as Co-Principals, as part of a School District decision to move Glendale High School back to a "traditional" one-principal system from the two-principal system that had been in place.
In 2006, 8 students from Glendale High school represented the United States at the Junior G8 summit in St. Petersburg Russia, where they discussed world issues and met with the leaders of the G8 nations.
In 2009, the dance/drill team program under the supervision of Ms. Kelly Palmer, won its 11th consecutive title at the United Spirit Association dance competition. This was held at the Anaheim Convention center.
Glendale High School was among the first schools in Southern California to offer Athletic Sports, and the school's sport program continues to be a major source of pride.
Glendale High School has two mascots, the Dynamiters in reference to the school Football Program, and the Nitros in reference to all other sports.
Glendale High School offers the following sports:
Every March, the school holds its annual "Oratorical" event, students from each class (Grades 9, 10, 11, and 12) are judged on:
The tradition was started in 1910, during a time of heightened interest in Public Speaking in Southern California, it has continued through the years, demonstrating to the Community the pride students have in the school.
The event is judged by a combination of alumni, community members, and members of the military. The use of military personnel, in particular, has raised some controversy, with accusations being levied that the primary motive for the event is to indoctrinate students towards a pro-military point of view.
The School Newspaper, the Explosion, was first published in 1917, and has continued to be published semi-quarterly.
The School Yearbook, the Stylus, was started in 1909 as a monthly publication. In 1910, it became a quarterly publication, being published each quarter by a different grade level. Later, it became an annual publication.
The Pat Navolanic Memorial Award was established in 1966, in honor of Patrick Navolanic, student body president and Valedictorian of the Class of 1963, who is remembered for being extremely active in school activities, and who died of asphyxiation in December, 1965 while studying abroad in France.
The award is given to the graduating senior who best exemplifies Navolanic's leadership traits, scholarship skills and athletic prowess, as decided by a council of electors representing all student organizations and sports teams on campus. The winner receives a scholarship in the amount of $2,500, finalists receive $300. The scholarship money is made possible by a financial endowment, as well as generous donations from students, teachers, alumni, and the community.
The winners of the award are as follows :
Statistics for 2007-2008 School Year 
- Abraham Lincoln Elementary
- Anderson W. Clark Magnet High
- Balboa Elementary
- Benjamin Franklin Elementary
- Monte Vista Elementary
- Mark Keppel Elementary
- John Muir Elementary
- John Marshall Elementary
- Jewel City Community Day
- Horace Mann Elementary
- Herbert Hoover Senior High
- Glenoaks Elementary
- Eleanor J. Toll Middle
- Dunsmore Elementary
- Daily (Allan F.) High (Continuation)
- Columbus Elementary
- College View
- Cerritos Elementary
- Woodrow Wilson Middle
- Verdugo Woodlands Elementary
- Verdugo Academy
- Valley View Elementary
- Thomas Jefferson Elementary
- Thomas Edison Elementary