LearnBoost welcomes Isabella High School
In the early 1800's, the community of Isabella was just being settled. Mulberry Church was established in 1818, and Isabella Methodist Church was formed about ten years later. Mr. Isaac George, who helped in the organization of the new church, proposed his daughter's name, Isabella, for the church. The church which was used for worship on Sundays and during the week was used as a school called Mulberry Academy.
In the early 1900's a two-room school house located near the Methodist Church served as the Isabella school. In 1919, the school building was named Isabella High School, and Mr. J.D. Griffin was the first principal and one of only four teachers. By 1923, the school had grown to include seven teachers, and the present agriculture building was established. This building was the first agriculture department in Chilton County and is the oldest structure on campus today. Mr. Earl Thomas, who later became a state senator, served as the first agriculture teacher.
In 1927, Isabella held its first graduation with only two graduates. However, the class of 1928 consisted of eleven graduates.
The original school building was torn down in 1930, and a larger school was built where the football field stands today. However, this building burned in 1934. By the late 1930's, a new school had been established at the present location. The football field was constructed in the 1950's, and the gym was built in the 1970's.
Fire struck again in 1988 and destroyed most of the elementary classrooms, the main office, and part of the high school classrooms. The present brick building was finished in 1989. An additional building was added in 2000 for grades 4-6. Four high school classrooms and a new gym were constructed in 2002. The old gym was renovated as an auditorium in 2004.
In 2003, the football team went 10-0 in regular season and finished the year off 13-1 after losing to Autaugaville in the 4th round of the state playoffs.
Some of the principals of the school through the years were: