LearnBoost welcomes John F. Kennedy Elementary
The Desert Sands Unified School District is a public school district located in La Quinta, California. The district was founded in 1964 after the state of California department of education consolidated all of Indio public schools at the time. The DSUSD serves
The DSUSD administration office based in a former elementary school (1926-1955), was moved from Indio to La Quinta in 1996 and the historic building was torn down to make way for a county courthouse parking lot.
In the 1930s and 40s, Indio Public Schools consisted of Washington, Roosevelt, Jackson (the first facility replaced by a newer one), Lincoln and Hoover schools, with the Jefferson school the sole Junior High level facility.
DSUSD (began as the Indio Public School District) closed down 3 schools so far. The original sites for George Washington and Abraham Lincoln schools were in Indio.The Lincoln site became the Indio community school in the 1960s and is now Our Lady of Perpeutal Help Catholic school since the 1990s. William McKinley School was closed in the 1960s when Indio Public Schools had to integrate their schools for Black-American students.
John Adams school of La Quinta relocated to a new facility in 1998/99 after their previous spot was taken over by Harry Truman school.
Woodrow Wilson Middle School closed in 2009, to become the new Amistad Continuation High School in 2010.
Two proposed elementary schools in Indio (North Indio and West Indio) are expected to open in the fall of 2012.
- Abraham Lincoln Elementary
- Amelia Earhart Elementary School Of International
- Amistad High (Continuation)
- Andrew Jackson Elementary
- Benjamin Franklin Elementary
- Carrillo Ranch Elementary
- Martin Van Buren Elementary
- Lyndon B. Johnson Elementary
- La Quinta Middle
- La Quinta High
- John Glenn Middle School Of International Studies
- John Adams Elementary
- James Madison Elementary
- James Earl Carter Elementary
- Indio Middle
- Herbert Hoover Elementary
- Harry S. Truman Elementary
- George Washington Charter
- Dwight Eisenhower Elementary
- Dr. Reynaldo J. Carreon Jr. Academy
- Colonel Mitchell Paige Middle
- Woodrow Wilson Middle
- Thomas Jefferson Middle
- Theodore Roosevelt Elementary