LearnBoost welcomes Lemoore High
Lemoore High School is a public school located in Lemoore, California. It serves grades 9 through 12, and is accredited through the California Department of Education to grant High School Diplomas to students who successfully complete the requisite amount and type of units as well as pass the California High School Exit Exam. Its enrollment for 2006-2007 was 2066 students.
"Tradition. Innovation. Excellence"
The Lemoore Union High school district is dedicated to providing a quality education to all students. (They) develop competent and responsible students and challenge students to solve complex problems, communicate ideas, and work together in preparation for careers of the 21st century.
Lemoore High School was originally opened in 1900 to 35 students assembled as freshmen in the old Heinlen Hall in downtown Lemoore and began classes. Students in that first year were offered Latin, ancient History, Algebra and English. In 1902, the high school moved after Lemoore voters approved a school bond to build a new facility on the corner of Fox and B Streets. Lemoore High Schools first graduating class (1904) consisted of three persons: Margaret Hayes and Arthur and Ed Blank. In 1909, the first football team was formed from the 18 boys enrolled. The first school bus, a 20 passenger, 15 mile per hour average speed vehicle, made its debut in 1916. The current school, located at 101 East Bush Street was opened February 1, 1924. Ellen Truckell was the 1929 Student Body President, the first female president to serve at Lemoore High School.
In 1940, the "music building" (the small building west of the main gym) was added to provide a band and choir room, ceramics studio, and 2 classrooms; and the auto shop was added to the existing shop building (that is now the maintenance department). In 1941, a swimming pool was added; in 1953, the Ag building; in 1958, the J.F. Graham Memorial Gymnasium; in 1960, the business building, followed by the science wing and administration building in 1962. The home economics building was completed in 1963, and followed in turn by the library and tennis courts in 1964. The football stadium and bus garage were finished in 1965. The metal shop (now the auto shop, T-1) was erected in 1969, along with the industrial drawing and electronics classrooms. In 1970, the "girls" gym was remodeled, and the exercise room added.
In 1973, a $2.75 million bond was supported by the taxpayers to erect the 10 classrooms in the S-Wing, the cafeteria, woodshops, and an addition to the boys' locker room. In 1978, the main building was renovated. In 1991 a new swimming pool was completed, and the old pool buildings converted to classrooms.
In 1993, the Gundacker Center was established to house the alternative education programs, such as Continuation, Adult Ed, Independent Study, Pregnant Minors (Cyesis), and Child Care programs. The Gundacker Center was dedicated to Gertrude Gundacker, a long time faculty member. The Continuation School is dedicated to Don Jamison, the first continuation principal and a track coach.
In 2001, Lemoore High School celebrated 100 years of excellence in education with a Centennial Celebration. This event included an All-Class Reunion.
The Lemoore High School Choir is planning a trip in Spring to sing in Carnegie Hall.
In January 2005, Lemoore High School made national news with the ban on "freak" dancing by Principal Jim Bennett. The issue was announced to students and dances from then to present have intense restrictions on dancing. The 2008-2009 Lemoore Tigers Varsity basketball set a school record for wins and Freshmen, JV, and Varsity all won their leagues with a combined 4 losses.