LearnBoost welcomes Orosi High
The Orosi High School District was organized in 1909 by Miss Frances E. Snell. Grammar and High School classes were held in the same building, with high school occupying the upstairs portion (and one downstairs room). The first class was made up of twenty-nine freshman, two sophomores, and one junior. Frances Snell taught mathematics, history, and English while Louise Duncan was in charge of the commercial department and Latin. By 1911, the high school branched apart from the grammar school, but remained in the same building.
In 1912, Orosi High School's first class graduated. Two students made up the graduating class. That same year, a new site for the school was purchased on Road 128 (formerly Palm Avenue). Temporary buildings were put up to accommodate the students.
The main structure was of the old California style with boards running up and down. The front of the building was an assembly room with an office adjoining and four classrooms toward the back. Small utility building were in the back. One of these had a loft which was a great attraction for the boys.
The 1914-1915 academic year welcomed 15 new students and graduated 7 seniors
In 1917 a combination brick stucco schoolhouse was built with seven classrooms, assembly hall, with an administrative office and faculty room. A gymnasium of brick, and a frame shop building were added in 1922. The homemaking department had a wing to itself. A south wing was added in 1937, and remains after other old buildings burned or were demolished to be replaced by new ones in 1956. The school suffered a destructive fire in 1942. Bonds and state support provided funds for new classrooms and a new gymnasium which was ready in 1951. The other new buildings were occupied in 1954. In 1955 the administration of both the elementary and high schools was placed under one superintendent, each retaining its own principal.
In 1962 a new building was built, which housed a library, science laboratory, and additional classrooms.
In 1965 the district unified and the high school students from Badger were included in the district.
A football stadium was built for the school in 1972.
In 1990, Orosi High School was awarded the California Distinguished School recognition.