LearnBoost welcomes Shelter Cove
The 2nd Regiment California Volunteer Infantry was an infantry regiment in the Union Army during the American Civil War. It spent its entire term of service in the western United States. Organized at San Francisco and Carson City September 2, 1861, to December 30, 1862 and attached to Department of the Pacific. The regiment was first assembled at the Presidio, San Francisco, and after completing its organization, five companies were sent to Oregon and Washington Territory, to relieve the regular troops, and two companies were sent to Santa Barbara. The troops of this regiment sent to Oregon were afterwards returned to California. It was mustered out during the month of October, 1864.
On the muster out of the original regiment, in October, 1864, the veterans, together with new recruits, were again organized into a regiment. The Regiment was ordered to Arizona Territory, August 15, 1865, by the order of the Department of California. It was posted at Camp on San Pedro River from October 1865 to December 31, 1865 and then at Camp Grant, until it was recalled to be mustered out at San Francisco, April 16, 1866. Company H was the last unit of the Regiment to be mustered out July 2, 1866.