LearnBoost welcomes White Mountain School
The White Mountain School, often called White Mountain or WMS, is a co-educational, independent boarding school located in Bethlehem, New Hampshire, USA. Established in 1886 as St. Mary's School in Concord, New Hampshire, the school moved to its current location in 1936, situated just north of the White Mountains of New Hampshire. White Mountain School has always used environmentalism and ecology as major tenets of its curriculum. Nearly all of its graduates attend four-year colleges or universities.
The White Mountain School was founded in 1886 as an all-girls Episcopal high school called St. Mary's School in Concord, New Hampshire. In 1935, Dorothy McLane, the school's headmistress, moved the school north into the White Mountains region, to the estate of Ernest Poole in Sugar Hill, New Hampshire; the school was then renamed St. Mary's in the Mountains. One year later in 1936, the school was moved once more to its current location in Bethlehem, New Hampshire. Over the next 25 years, the Bethlehem campus expanded with the purchase of new dormitories and the construction of new classroom wings. On January 3, 1964, the school's Main Building burned down. The following year, a new Main Building was constructed in its place. Six years later, in 1970, the school began accepting a small number of male day students, and in 1972 the school went completely coed and changed its name to White Mountain School.
The school is co-educational, serving grades 9-12, with a postgraduate program. The student body of approximately 100 students comes from 25 states and a dozen countries. About 80% are boarding students who live in dorm communities along with faculty members and their families. Approximately 50% of students receive some form of financial aid. Founded in 1886 in the Episcopal tradition, WMS welcomes students of all faiths.
The school's 250-acre (100 ha) campus is located between the towns of Bethlehem and Littleton, New Hampshire on a hilltop providing views of the White Mountains. The campus consists of a Main Building, four dormitories, a building for science and math classes, a gym, a theater, squash courts (now mainly used for storage), and faculty housing.